Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Walking through another artists shoes!

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I haven't blogged sooner. My husband has moved his business , which he was at the same location for over 17 years. It was a tremendous task and I didn't see much of him for last three weeks. So daily tasks with the kids and the house have been a bit chaotic. I have had a few custom orders to complete, so the house needed a good cleaning......and no the cleaning fairies didn't come, darn! So things are slowly getting back to order.


Over the weekend we emptied my aunt's storage building.....whoa was it hot! My uncle, dad, husband and myself trucked downtown Chicago and went to a storage building my aunt had been paying on for over 20 years :O

She had not been down there and told us to get rid of everything. So not knowing what we had in store, we went down their with two trucks, a van and a car. Oh my Oh my......I think...no, I know, I was the only one that thought what was in there was great. It was filled with art books, pictures she drew and just a history of her life I did not know. She never talked about her love of the arts. She was an amazing artist~ truly gifted. I did receive her amazing talent as gifts when each of my kids turned one she drew unbelievable portraits of each of them. I am so in awe of these and will treasure these pictures forever. The storage building was filled with ads she had designed for Marshall Fields, sketch books of doodles and portraits....these are my favorites as I have a ton of doodle books of my own. She was a doll collector and maker too. I wouldn't have known she was a doll maker, but during the move one of the dolls broke. As I was picking up the pieces, I saw her name engraved into the porcelain. I think my mouth dropped in admiration. The detail her dolls had were just captivating. An art I don't know well, but I will appreciate now forever~ I wont ramble too much, but at the end of the day I was in tears. To see her life as a phenomenal artist, I am just grateful to use some of her things. I brought home some art books, an art table and many drawings that I will cherish. I also have a few dolls that she made and have a new appreciation for the art. I think she will be happy to know that it will be preserved and carried on. If I can be a tenth of her talent then I will be blessed. She is a great artist and I am grateful to have her in my life!!

To another great artist, my friend Mica from Garboodles is hosting a Vintage Kitchen Swap.....I wasn't quite sure about this with all that is happening at my house, but I decided to join. My swap partner is great and her blog is just fantastic. Go check her out at http://faeriewindow.blogspot.com/. Lori is super nice and I can't wait to send out her goodies!!


Lastly, another month has flown by and Glitter and Grunge will update tomorrow. Check it out and see the wonderful works of these amazing women. I have attached a piece I will be adding for the month of August. Its a new birthday line. Its customized pieces for any ages. And yes, we should celebrate every year, no matter what age!! The two I am posting is one for a new baby boy, with airplanes, stars and clouds which his little banner reads, "A Star is Born" and a sweet giraffe on wheels with a number one on it. Each can be customized and is a special keepsake. So on this birthday note, tomorrow I will be celebrating my oldest baby's birthday. It brings me to tears as he is growing up so fast. My baby is not my little baby anymore, but I do remind him he is still my baby~ So I will end this post with a wish, may your day be filled with joy and may your year be one of celebration!! Take care!!


8 comments:

Diane Duda said...

I am currently in the process of cleaning out my Grandma's stuff so that my cousin can move into her house at the end of August.
It's really hard for me to get rid of any of her belongings after having them around me all my life.
It sounds like you have some wonderful keepsakes to remember your Aunt by. I'm happy for you and for her that you are there to appreciate her things. :)

Sweet Remembrance said...

Oh my...your aunt left you some wonderful treasures! Lucky you...

Lori said...

i am so happy that your aunt's treasures now belong to someone who will love and appreciate them, her doll is just lovely...and thanks for the "plug" :)

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Jackie!!! I am loving your new designs! Beautiful work!

You won my giveaway too! :-)

DebraK from ~the Bunnies Bungalow~ said...

Thank you for visiting & yes you may OUT my blog on yours, I'd love that.


What a treasure trove you found in the storage bin. The doll is lovely. I hope you can keep it for the next generation.

Anne Bradshaw said...

Love the treasures on this blog. We've moved house a zillion times and I empathize with you. Seems to be forever before things get straight.

Please feel free to visit my blog, also. I really enjoy visitors.

Michelle said...

Jackie,
I have seen and admired your work!

I see that you live in the Illinois! So do I!! Email me and we can chat! Maybe if we are close enough, we could meet up sometime!

Blessings,
Michelle Sylvia
www.theblackberrybriar.typepad.com

DebraK from ~the Bunnies Bungalow~ said...

Hi again, I've picked you for a fun tag, drop by my blog to see.